Thursday, May 27, 2010

My first attempt at Macarons


I first tried these tasty little sandwiches at Laduree in Paris (that sounds really fancy doesn't it!) a few years ago and I thought they were pretty amazing, but never, ever thought I could attempt to make them on my own.

My first encounter with macarons at Laduree in Paris.

Inspired again by my good friend Kate, I decided I was going to try it.  To be fair, I decided it a while ago, but it took me a while to get the ingredients and the time to do it.  So the last Saturday night after a delicious dinner with JT and Bryan I decided that we were going to do it!  I had made a pretty runny attempt at strawberry chocolate ganache earlier in the day.  It didn't turn out right texturally, but it tasted OK. 

It turns out that there are tons of recipes and lots of ways to make macarons.  After searching for a while on how to do it, I finally decided to try Kate's recipe from her class in NYC.  It had some pretty fun techniques and I had some help sifting from JT and with ideas from Bryan and they turned out pretty well.  I didn't want to dye them this time (I didn't want to alter the recipe after the ganache fiasco) so they aren't pretty, but they are were pretty delicious!  I ate them all.  Like all....


My first attempt:  Macarons with Strawberry Chocolate Ganache

I will be making these babies again.

2 comments:

Kate (Embarrassment of Riches) said...

Those turned out far, far better than you had led me to believe! They are beautiful!

Jaimee said...

Thanks! I picked the prettiest ones to take pictures of. Do you use powder food coloring? Oh! and how do you make the pistachio filling? I have so many questions!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails