Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Thanksgiving Table

Thirty minutes before people were scheduled to arrive for Thanksgiving I still had no idea what I was going to do about making the dining room table look presentable.  Here's what I ended up with:


I made the table runner from burlap for last years Thanksgiving table.  I love the fact that it's so neutral it can be used for any occasion (when I put the extra leaf in the table) any time of year.

Tips for sewing a table runner:
*I made this table runner about 13 inches wide and gave myself six to eight inches at either end of the table.
*Give yourself 2 inches on every side (so get a 17 inch length of fabric for a 13 inch wide runner).
*When I sew a straight seam, especially a long straight seam, I always iron it down first rather than just pinning it.  I think it keeps things straighter, it stays better and it's easier to fix a mistake when it's ironed than after you sew it.

I got these cute napkin holders last year:


I used what I had available for the centerpiece, clementines, granny smith apples, birds, pieces of a berry vine and some candles in a wood platter that I love.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails