Thursday, November 4, 2010

Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce

I may have mentioned my slight obsession with pumpkins.  I've been trying to find savory recipes for pumpkins to no real avail.  I mentioned my dilemma to my friend Zeina who is a great cook and baker.  She had one ready for me to try out at the top of her head.

Pasta with Pumpkin Sauce

Ingredients
Salt
1 Pound Whole Wheat Pasta (I used rotini, but the recipe calls for penne)
2 Tbs Olive Oil
3 Shallots, finely chopped
3 - 4 Cloves of Garlic, minced or grated
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Can (15 oz) Pumpkin Puree
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream
1 tsp Hot Sauce
2 pinches Nutmeg, freshly grated
2 pinches Ground Cinnamon
Salt and Pepper
8 leaves Fresh Sage, thinly sliced
Parmigiano-Reggiano

Add Ins - You can add to this sauce to add more vegetables or protein.  The below is what I used, but you could use chicken, peppers, whatever you have in your fridge!
2 Mild Italian Sausages
1 Zucchini, cut in 1/4 inch sections and then in half
1 Eggplant, cut in 1/4 inch sections and then in half

Directions
1.  Heat water for pasta, salt it and cook to al dente.

2.  Heat the oil over medium heat.  Brown Sausage.  Add shallots and garlic to the pan and saute for 3 minutes.

3.  Stir in chicken stock, then cream.  Season Sauce with hot sauce, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and pepper.  Start with above guidelines, then season to taste.
Don't forget to taste!

4.  Add vegetables, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 - 10 minutes to thicken.

5.  Stir in sage, toss with pasta and top with grated cheese to taste.

1 comment:

Eric said...

That was delicious! Update your blog!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails