Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Chicken and Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce

I have somewhere in the area of 34 pounds of apples.  We went apple picking a few weeks ago and I am overflowing in apples.  I also have 2 large bottles of apple cider.  I go a little overboard when fall flavors come out.  So even though all I want to eat is pumpkin stuff, I decided to make a dinner with some of those 34 pounds of apples.

Chicken and Apples in Honey Mustard Sauce

Ingredients
1/2 Cup Apple Cider
1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
Salt
Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Tbsp Mustard (I used German Mustard)
2 Tbsp Breadcrumbs
4 Chicken Breasts
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 small apples, cored and cut into eighths
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
Fresh Parsley, for garnish
Rice, to serve upon

Directions
1.  Whisk cider, cornstarch, mustard, honey, salt and pepper (to taste) in a bowl and set aside.

2.  Lightly coat chicken with breadcrumbs.  I used the flour, egg white, breadcrumbs approach.

3.  Heat the oil and add chicken breasts to a large non-stick skillet.  Cook over medium heat until golden brown on one side.

4.  Turn chicken, add apples and cook until brown on the other side.

5.  Add chicken broth, cover and simmer until chicken is tender; about 15 minutes.

6.  Remove chicken and apples to serving plates over rice.  Re-whisk cider mixture and add to skillet.  Cook and stir over high heat until lightly thickened and bubbly/ 1 - 2 minutes.  Spoon over chicken and apples, sprinkle with parsley.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails