Monday, October 17, 2011

My (Late) Summer Yarn Wreath

I've seen these yarn wreaths all over Pinterest and Etsy. I've always wanted to get one, but never felt like spending the money (totally out of character, I know). So longer ago than I'd like to admit, I finally made myself one. I don't have in process photos or a tutorial, but it's super simple.


Materials
  • Foam or straw wreath form
  • Yarn in the colors of your choice
  • Ribbon for hanging
  • Pins
  • Felt and ribbons for flowers
  • Other adornments of your choice
Instructions
  1. I used a foam wreath, some will tell you to wrap a straw wreath in burlap if you used straw.
  2. I just tied my first piece of yarn tightly around the form and glued the knot down in the back with hot glue.
  3. Wrap. A lot. Then wrap some more. I'd wrap the yarn around a few times then tighten. If/when you change colors just tie the two pieces of yarn together, but make sure the knot will be in the back when pulled tightly. Make sure your next wraps are over the loose ends.
  4. When you get to the end, tie your loose end to the loose end you had left over when you started, trim close to the knot. Use a tiny bit of glue to hold it down and you're good to go!
  5. Adorn!



Notes
  • I didn't plan the spacing out in advance. Next time I would make sure I had a plan for color changes and mark it on the wreath form.
  • There are tons of felt and ribbon flower tutorials out there. I found a bunch of different ones I liked that didn't involve a ton of work and sewing. My favorite is the ribbon (purple), but it was also the most complicated.
  • I pinned the flowers to the wreath rater than hot gluing. I did this so I could reuse them elsewhere and in some cases for decoration, but it had the unintended benefit of not melting. Some pieces melted with the hot August sun beating on the wreath through a glass storm door.
  • I found a branch outside after a storm for the birds to perch and shoved it into the foam, then hot glued it for extra support

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails